MEDICAL/SURGICAL RN JOB DESCRIPTION
- Consults and coordinates with healthcare team members to assess, plan, implement and evaluate patient care plans.
- Prepares and administers (orally, subcutaneously, through an IV) and records prescribed medications.
- Reports adverse reactions to medications or treatments following the policy regarding the administration of medications by a licensed registered nurse.
- Records patients’ medical information and vital signs.
- Monitors and adjusts specialized equipment used on patients and interprets and records electronic displays.
- Initiates corrective action whenever the patient displays adverse symptomatology.
- Provides bedside care for a wide variety of medical patients, including pre- and post-surgery patients.
- Begins patient education plan, as prescribed by a physician.
- Teaches patients and significant others how to manage their illness/injury, by explaining: post-treatment home care needs.
- Changes dressings, insert catheters, starts IVs.
- Prepares equipment and aids physician during examination and treatment of a patient
- Responds to life-saving situations based upon nursing standards and protocol.
- Participates in discharge planning.
- Utilizes time management skills.
- Records all care information concisely, accurately and completely, promptly, in the appropriate format, and on the necessary forms.
- Performs other position-related duties as assigned, depending on assignment setting.
- Must have state RN license
- Two years RN experience
- BLS Certifications
- BSN preferred but not required
- Travel experience is preferred but not required